Frequently Asked Questions
Broken bracket? Broken wire? Expander? Elastics??
- Great oral hygiene is key! Brush and floss more thoroughly than ever before to keep your enamel and gums as healthy as possible. Recommend brushing 2-3 times per day and floss daily.
- Eat a healthy diet and drink lots of water. Make sure to avoid sticky and hard foods with braces, to avoid breaking brackets and wires.
- If you have a loose or broken bracket, untie and remove from the wire using a toothpick and clean fingernail clipper.
- If you have a poking or broken wire, apply wax for comfort. If discomfort continues, you can clip the wire using a clean clipper.
- Continue to wear your bands as prescribed. If you need additional bands, call or email us.
- If you are turning an expander, continue turning for the length of time, or number of turns, prescribed. At that time, quit turning until we can see you in the office.
- If you are in severe discomfort and pain or have an emergency orthodontic situation, please call our office.
What if I have a loose bracket or a bracket that falls off?
Disconnect bracket from the wire. Try to use a toothpick or small scissors to remove colored o-tie to release bracket
Should I keep turning my expander? Will that cause overcorrection?
Our expanders are self-limiting. Continue to turn up to your original appointment date (typically 4 weeks from time of placement) then stop turning until we can see you!
If I wear my rubber bands too much, could that overcorrect my jaw?
More than likely not, but take a picture of your bite and send it to us so we can evaluate.
What if I have an arch wire that is broken or poking me?
Try to place wax on the end of the wire – make sure to dry area to help the wax stick better. If that doesn’t help, try using a small wire cutter or clean nail clippers to cut wire
What do I do if I run out of elastics?
Contact the office and we will mail them to your home.
What should I do if I only have a few aligners left?
Wear your remaining aligners for 2 or 3 weeks to extend the amount of time the aligners will last.
What should I do if I’m out of aligners?
Continue wearing your last aligner until we can get you on the schedule.
What should I do if my button or attachment is off?
Continue wearing your aligners as instructed, and we will replace the attachment or button at your next appointment. If wearing elastics, you can stop until the next appointment.